Fleet Finch II Flight
Fleet Finch II Flight

Fleet Finch II Flight

Regular price $130.00

Member Price/Prix Membres:

10 minutes - $130 (includes $35 Tax Receipt/Un reçu fiscal d’une valeur de 35$)

20 minutes - $200 (includes $50 Tax Receipt/Un reçu fiscal d’une valeur de 50$)

Non-Member Price/Prix Non-Membres:

10 minutes - $170 (includes $50 Tax Receipt/Un reçu fiscal d’une valeur de 50$)

20 minutes - $200 (includes $75 Tax Receipt/Un reçu fiscal d’une valeur de 75$)

**All prices are taxes included/taxes incluses

 

Flight Duration/Durée du vol: 10/20 minutes.


Maximum Weight/Poids maximum: 180 lbs.

For general flight requirements and information check out the Aircraft Flights page.

Pour les renseignements généraux et les exigences de vol, consultez la page Aircraft Flights.

Aircraft History

The Finch was a mainstay of the RCAF prior to and during the early part of the Second World War, flying at the Elementary Flying Training Schools (EFTS) in parallel with the better known de Havilland Tiger Moth. The earlier Fleet Model 7 (Fleet Fawn) was also in use for primary training. During 1940, initial production problems were solved and timely deliveries were made to the RCAF, allowing the first training programs to start up. In the following year, the Portuguese Navy purchased ten Model 16Ds (ordered as 10Bs but changed to the higher powered variant) and later a further five 16Ds were delivered in 1942.
A total of 606 Fleet Finches were produced as Model 16s, the majority for the RCAF. They were used as initial trainers in the BCATP at no fewer than 12 Elementary Flight Training Schools across Canada. Both the Fleet Finch and Tiger Moth were later replaced by the Fairchild PT-26 Cornell. The Finch was progressively phased out of service from October 1944 with the last of the Model 16s struck off strength from the RCAF inventory in 1947.

The Vintage Wings Fleet Finch was assigned serial number 4462 in 1940 and was based in Quebec and New Brunswick in the early 1940s. In 1944, it was written off, declared surplus and sold. Our Fleet Finch is dedicated to Squadron Leader Hartland Finley, who flew this very aircraft while training at No.4 EFTS, Windsor Mills, Quebec during the Second World War. He also instructed at Summerside, Prince Edward Island and in Ottawa, Ontario, and flew combat missions with 403 and 443 Squadrons.

 

Historique de l'avion

Le Finch était un pilier de l'ARC avant et pendant le début de la Seconde Guerre mondiale, volant dans les écoles élémentaires de pilotage en parallèle avec le plus connu de Havilland Tiger Moth. Le modèle précédent, le Fleet Model 7 (Fleet Fawn), était également utilisé pour la formation primaire. En 1940, les problèmes de production initiaux ont été résolus et des livraisons en temps opportun ont été faites à l'ARC, ce qui a permis le démarrage des premiers programmes de formation. L'année suivante, la marine portugaise a acheté dix modèles 16D (commandés en 10B mais remplacés par une variante plus puissante) et plus tard, cinq autres 16D ont été livrés en 1942.
Au total, 606 Fleet Finchs ont été produits en tant que modèles 16, la majorité pour l'ARC. Ils ont été utilisés comme premiers avions-écoles dans le PEACB dans pas moins de 12 écoles élémentaires de pilotage à travers le Canada. Le Fleet Finch et le Tiger Moth ont ensuite été remplacés par le Fairchild PT-26 Cornell. Le Finch a été progressivement mis hors service à partir d'octobre 1944, le dernier des modèles 16 ayant été retiré de l'inventaire de l'ARC en 1947.

Le Fleet Finch des Ailes d'époque a reçu le numéro de série 4462 en 1940 et était basé au Québec et au Nouveau-Brunswick au début des années 1940. En 1944, il a été radié, déclaré excédentaire et vendu. Notre Fleet Finch est dédié au chef d'escadron Hartland Finley, qui a piloté cet appareil même alors qu'il s'entraînait à l'école élémentaire de pilotage No.4 à Windsor Mills, Québec pendant la Seconde Guerre mondiale. Il a également instruit à Summerside, à l'Île-du-Prince-Édouard et à Ottawa, en Ontario, et a effectué des missions de combat avec les 403e et 443e Escadrons.


More from this collection